January 15th, 2014 | By illtal
Normally, I keep my site strictly music-related, but need to put this one on blast… A few days ago I got a notification on my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 to upgrade to the new version of Android – 4.3. I did hoping it would add some cool new features. It did! New features like:
1. Shorter Battery Life – Before updating I would get 6-8 hours of life out of my phone. After the update? About 2-3 hours (that’s half the life for anyone mathematically inclined). In the morning after unplugging the phone fully charged, it goes down to 96% in about 10 minutes. No exaggeration.
2. Slower Response Times – After the update, EVERYTHING takes longer. Opening apps, “waking” from the lock screen, even typing. Yes – writing a text there is a noticeable delay in the time I press a key to the time it appears on the screen.
3. Wifi Connectivity Issues – Before updating, never had an issue. Now I keep getting “Unstable Wi-Fi Connection” errors and the phone switches to 4g. (Probably a scam to make you pay for more data but who knows). My wifi is Verizon Fios, so good luck blaming yourself for that one.
If the above wasn’t bad enough, the response from Verizon/Samsung/Android has pretty much been silent. In fact, there is a forum of over 27 pages on Verizon’s Community Help Center of customers with the same issues.
View the unhappy Verizon Customers here.
The Customer Support people must think everyone in the forum is an idiot and we all think it’s just a coincidence that everyone’s phone stopped working correctly after the update. Some helpful replies from Customer Service include:
1. Here is a link to helpful tips to increase battery life
2. Have you done a factory reset?
3. We will send you a refurbished phone
Some people actually tried the above and still ran into the same issues once the phone automatically updates to 4.3.
All in all, this is typical of large corporations. Pass the buck, deny, deflect. I’m actually disappointed as I’ve been a Verizon customer for 10+ years and I had no problems with my S3 prior to the update.
Having similar issues? Let them know about it on Twitter and Facebook.
Verizon Wireless Twitter
Verizon Wireless Facebook